The role of the secretary is to support the chair in ensuring the smooth functioning of the Trustee Board and Executive Committee.
Ensures meetings are effectively organised and minuted:
● Liaising with the Chair to plan meetings.
● Receiving agenda items from committee members.
● Circulating agendas and reports.
● Taking minutes.
● Circulating approved minutes.
Maintaining effective records and administration:
● Maintain the Charity’s records on the Charity Commission website
● Fulfil any legal requirements e.g., Charity Commission Return, arrange Public Liability Insurance
● Filing minutes and reports.
● Keeping up-to-date contact details (i.e. Names, addresses and telephone numbers) of the
● Compiling lists of names and addresses that are useful to the organisation, including those
appropriate officials or officers of voluntary organisations.
● Dealing with the general day to day administration of the Charity including, but not exclusively,
answering emails to the DARh[email protected] email address or allocating them to the relevant
member of the Trustee Board or Executive
Communication and correspondence:
● Responding to all committee correspondence and procedures.
● Filing all committee correspondence received and copies of replies sent.
● Along with the Chair, prepare a report of the organisation’s activities for the year and for the
Annual General Meeting.
Qualities and Skills required:
● Organisational ability.
● Experience of committee work and procedures.
● Minute taking experience.
● Good communication and interpersonal skills.
● Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
● Approachable and sensitive to the feelings of others.
● Well organised and an eye for detail.
● Ability to work well with the chair.
● Good timekeeping.